Peru – Day 2 (5/18/17)

I was up around 5 AM to make sure I had enough time to get all my stuff together and eat some breakfast before meeting up with my tour group heading to Puerto Maldonado. I made sure I had enough time to take a shower. I needed to get the stank off of me before sitting on a plane for a couple hours. I’m sure the people sitting next to me appreciated that. I left my big suitcase at the hotel in Lima since they would store your luggage for you. That way I didn’t have to worry about lugging that massive thing around. It was hard enough keeping track of two small bags. I went down and had breakfast and met the rest of my group. Off to the airport we go!

We arrived in Puerto Maldonado where it was hot and humid, but not as bad as I had thought it would be. After hitting the restroom and grabbing any checked luggage, we found our tour representative who was taking us to the hotel. It was about a 15-20 minute ride to the boat dock where we caught a ride to Hacienda Concepcion. This would be our home in the jungle for 3 nights. My cabana had 2 beds, 2 ceiling fans, a toilet room (and by room, I mean it is in its own room in my room. Same with the shower), 2 sinks, a chair, and a futon (in case I decided to let some monkeys stay the night. There are curtains on 2 screened windows and nothing on the rest of the windows. The chair and futon were in their own sitting space which could be closed off by sliding doors. The power was only available during certain times of the day, so charging my batteries had to happen during those times. The room is a private cabana, like a tiny house. It was a pretty cool set up. I was surrounded by the forest on one side of me and the other sides, I could see the other cabanas. I wasn’t sure how well I’d sleep since I sleep best when it’s completely quiet and with all the jungle sounds, it was difficult at times but once I was out, I was out. The jungle was alive and well and the monkeys made sure you knew it. They were quite loud, as were the birds.

We went for a walk with our guide around 4 PM. Just before we were to take off, it poured, like a monsoon, for about 30-45 minutes. I headed out to the main house right in the middle of the down pour but it’s ok, I got the full experience of the RAIN forest. I mean, you can’t go to the rain forest and not get wet. Let’s be real. I was soaked by the time I got to the main house which was only about a 2 minute walk from my cabana but I didn’t care. My hiking boots got tested and passed. It’s weird because it was almost refreshing to get poured on while in the Amazon. Now, if it’s pouring anywhere else, I hate getting rained on. Go figure. I was all about getting the full experience everywhere I went and damn it, I’m going to get soaked. The walk itself was informative and we saw different trees and insects, including mosquitoes. I’m pretty sure I didn’t get bit but they kept buzzing around my ears. For the night time stuff, I put on some long sleeves and the mosquito repellent on my neck and ears.

So far, up to this point, I had enjoyed the little bit I had done and was very comfortable being alone. It definitely helped that I had some good people with me in my group. There were only 7 of us at this point in the trip. I was really looking forward to the night time boat ride. We saw the white and the black caimans. They weren’t very big but there were a lot of them out chilling on the banks of the river. That was pretty much all we saw on our, maybe, hour boat ride. It was a relaxing way to end the day. We headed back to the hotel where dinner was waiting. The food was amazing. Nothing beats fresh and organic food. They know how to eat in Peru. After all of this, I went back to my cabana and got ready for bed. 5 AM can come up pretty fast.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s